Sunday, November 6, 2011

In the words of the Movie Grown Ups....Lets Get Apple Wasted!!

So my roommate came home with a bunch of apples a few weeks ago and we've been pondering what to do with them since there's so many! We also realized the tree in our back dog run has apples on it (this was only after I chased my dog down to see what she was scurrying away with in her mouth, I thought it might have been a creature--nope, just an apple!) So we have endless amounts of apples to play with-in the kitchen of course :)


One of the roommates made an apple pie, but I wanted to do something more creative with them since there were still so many staring at me on the counter every day for the past week. So I looked up an apple turnover recipe that I edited a bit and turned it into Apple Doubloons, and I made homemade applesauce which is DELICIOUS and turns out to be quite a healthy snack.


 I had to write this today though since my right hand was checked out for the night due to all the peeling and cutting--this is quite the daunting task and does take a little more effort than normal but hey-- if you're up for it might as well give it a try! Your hand might hate you in the morning, so this is not for the weary of..well hand ha :)


Apple Doubloons (or at least that is what I'm naming them :) 


Ingredients:
Apples (duh)
Brown Sugar
Butter
Cinnamon
Vanilla
Cornstarch
Water


So I started off just peeling all the apples whole and putting them into a bowl, I figured that worked better to do them all in steps since there were so many...See..well, they're not perfectly peeled but it works, no ones perfect! 










Then I cored and diced them all for both the Doubloons and the applesauce it was a on stop shop, and it made a TON...this was probably about 25 apples the size of your palm. (I forgot to take the picture of both bowls full of diced apples--forgive me, I was in the zone!)








Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
I put 4 tablespoons of butter in a large pan, let that melt then added the apples in. I just kind of eyeballed all the ingredients because I didn't want to measure out how many apples we had--I just knew we had a TON. Once they start to bubble a bit add brown sugar, the recipe calls for 2 cups depending on how many apples you have but I just put enough to give it a tan tinge. Then add a splash of vanilla and cinnamon to your tasting.








Then get about 4 teaspoons of cornstarch in a separate bowl and mix water into it until its just enough to get the powder wet, and enough to pour throughout the pan. This is what makes the apple goodness have a thicker consistency so it doesn't go running around everywhere. Once you get it whisked, pour it evenly over the apples in the pan and stir it in, it should get thick pretty quickly and you can see if you  need to add a bit more. Once it it mixed throughout, take it off the stove and pour it into a separate bowl, this keeps it from burning on the bottom.





Then I used cupcake tins. Spray some Pam or non stick stuff all in it so you don't get a huge mess when you go to pull them out. For the crust I used Phyllo dough (just the Safeway brand). Make sure to let it defrost for a few hours before you use it so it doesn't crumble everywhere. Then cut it into about palm sized squares and place them over the cupcake tin, then spoon in the apple mixture and close up the top, to make a little sack (of doubloons!). 




Then put them in the oven and keep and eye on them, they only need time for the dough to crisp up, it took mine about 12 minutes depending on how crunchy you like them. When you take them out let them cool and Wa-lah! Yummy Apple Doubloons! We put cool whip on ours :) Although, they are yummy totally on their own!




We made a bunch and put them in a Tupperware, although they don't stay crispy because of the dough, they still are super yummy when you nuke them in the microwave. You can also make them up until the step where you put them in the oven, then freeze them and pop them in the over the morning of and you have a quick and yummy breakfast on the go!






Now...For the main event


Healthy, Homemade (with love) Applesauce


This is so easy (after you've already slaved away peeling-coreing-slicing) and AMAZING. 



Ingredients:
Apples 
Apple Juice
Cinnamon
Vanilla
Splenda


Just get a large pot and pour about 1-1/2 inch of apple juice in the bottom and bring to a boil, then pour your apples in and get them to a boil. Here's the best part...turn it down to about 2 or 3 on your stove, cover the pot....wait for it...WALK AWAY! All you do is let it simmer for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally depending on how chunky you want it. 


After these 3-4 hours when you've accomplished so many other things, while being Betty Crocker, you can take a masher (I'm not sure if this is the technical term, but ya'll know what I'm talking about) and run it through the pot a little bit just to give it more of the applesauce look, then stir in some vanilla, cinnamon and or Splenda to your liking and you're done! I just popped mine into a Tupperware and put it in the fridge. It is delicious warm and cold! 








Needless to say I'm pretty excited about all the apple goodies I made, hope maybe you get to try this too, and let me know how it goes :)






Cheers, 


Cam 
Superwoman-In-Training :)

No comments:

Post a Comment